Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Why The World Needs Another Political Blog

Oh, wait, it really doesn't.

See, isn't it refreshing to find such honesty? But, while the world may not need one more political blog, surely there's room for one. Isn't there? Actually, this blog won't be strictly political; it's going to be my place to share thoughts on some of life's more serious topics, ones that would be a little out-of-place on my other, Pollyanna-type blogs.

I'm going through some rather trying times in my "real-time" life and facing difficulties that I have very little power to fix---I can only choose how I respond. 

Don't you just hate that?

All this has left me with a *slightly* fractious attitude and a lot of energy wanting to go someplace. Aren't you lucky to be the recipients of it all?

I've decided that this blog will take the form of an advice column, mainly because I've always wanted to write one. It also helps create the soothing fiction that there is someone, somewhere in the world that will actually listen to my advice. With the spirit of a true columnist, I am going to totally make up the questions depending on what I want to talk about that day. Convenient, huh?

Now for our first question....

Dear Political Therapy,
   
       Why did you choose Political Therapy for your title?

Wondering Reader

Dear Wondering,

       I am so glad you asked that question. After several months of observing the increasingly acrimonious political posts on Facebook, I realized that no matter what the results of this election should be, that there would be families with strained relationships, friendships shattered along party lines, and colleagues struggling to work with someone they can't stand.

      I realized that all those dear, wandering souls were just waiting for someone to come along, to bridge the gaps of misunderstandings, and to heal their relationships through mutual tolerance and respectful dialogue. Naturally, I was prepared to step into that gap.

    Actually, while I want the blog to serve as a springboard for finding a reasonable understanding of---well---at least my point of view, it is also intended as a therapeutic release for me. It can't be healthy for me to have so many perfectly good opinions bottled up inside. I might rupture something.

So, therapy for the masses, and therapy for me. (And no, it's not nice to hint that I'm the one who needs therapy the most.)

Political Therapy

I hope that all of you will pop on and read once in a while. I do welcome actual real-person comments and questions, but please keep them civil. I want this to be a place that readers of all political stripes can access without being personally offended. It's fine to disagree (or agree!) with the opinions expressed, but let's keep it about ideas and not get personal.

I'm actually a person of pretty strong opinions at times (I know, I know. It's a big shock), but I do recognize that there are people who see things differently than I, hard as it may be for me to believe. This is only intended to be a forum to express my own unique mix of beliefs and values. I am probably not right about everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment